Uncertain times call for gear you can rely on – gear that can see you through to the other side. We’ve got a brand new Becker fixed blade to show you this week as well as one of our favorite new lighter designs of recent years brought to you by Exotac. On top of that, a selection of emergency LED lanterns, survival kits, multi-tools, a capable machete, and more.
The first new Becker design in a while is a home run! The BK18 Harpoon features a highly effective blade with an acute tip for piercing, the agility for precision cutting and a long, sweeping edge that is perfect for skinning or removing large chunks of material. It also comes with one of the best factory sheaths on the market – secure yet easy to extract and reinsert as needed, with durable and versatile mounting hardware.
Becker BK18 Harpoon Specs
- Blade Length: 4.56″
- Overall Length: 9.38″
- Blade Material: 1095 Cro-Van
- Blade Thickness: 0.165″
- Blade Hardness: 56-58
- Blade Style: Harpoon Point
- Blade Grind: Flat
- Handle Material: Tan Zytel
- Sheath Material: Celcon Polymer
- Made in the USA
The fire-starting gurus at Exotac have turned their attention to the flint-and-wick style of lighter and have come up with a winner, fixing some of the shortcomings that can plague this type of design. It uses standard Zippo (or equivalent) fuel but thanks to double O-rings it won’t dry out if you let it sit too long. The quickTHREAD cap takes only a single revolution to remove so you can strike a flame quickly, and the aluminum construction (in multiple colors!) will stand up to years of use in the field. What could be better? Oh, that’s right, it is made in the USA as well!
Exotac titanLIGHT Features & Specs
- High-Spark flint wheel
- Waterproof to >1 meter
- 1-revolution quickTHREAD cap
- Convection assist combustion
- Machined aluminum construction
- Easily replaceable flint
- Lanyard attachment location
- Flame guard
- Lighter fluid not included
- Made in the USA
- Diameter: 1.0″
- Weight: 2.0 oz
- Strikes per Flint: Up to 500
An American-made lockback knife for just under $50, the simply titled “USA,” from Boker Plus is a capable and handy pocket knife that is perfectly suited to EDC and utility jobs. It features a reversible pocket clip, thumb studs for opening, and lightweight and grippy FRN handles in orange, brown, or black. With a razor-sharp 154CM blade on the business end, this is a bargain not to be overlooked.
Boker Plus USA Folder Specs
- Blade Length: 3.375″
- Overall Length: 7.5″
- Blade Material: 154CM Stainless Steel
- Blade Style: Drop Point
- Handle Material: Fiberglass Reinforced Nylon (FRN)
- Locking Mechanism: Lockback
- Pocket Clip: Tip-Up, Left/Right Carry
- Weight: 2.1 oz.
- Made in the USA
Light the way with our selection of LED lanterns. Not just for camping, these can be a lifesaver in a power outage or other emergency situation. We’ve got battery powered models, solar rechargeable, and even a few candle lanterns thrown in for good measure. Plenty of options to see you through the worst, including lights like the UST 30 Day Duro (pictured above) which can run continuously for a full 30 days!
UST Ultimate Survival 30 Day Duro LED Lantern Features & Specs
- Bright, clean light—up to 700 lumens
- Lifetime LED is unbreakable and never needs to be replaced
- Rubberized housing enhances impact-resistance
- Removable globe provides forward-area light
- Built-in recessed hook at lantern base for hanging as a downlight
- Bulb Type: 3 x 1.4W Nichia, white LEDs
- Material: High-impact ABS plastic
- Batteries: 3 x D Alkaline batteries (not included)
- Lantern Modes
- High (White – 700 lumens – 22 hour runtime)
- Medium (White – 140 lumens – 106 hour runtime)
- Low (White – 30 lumens – 30 day runtime)
- SOS (15 day runtime)
- Dimensions: 7.2″ x 3.75″
- Weight: 1.13 lbs. (with batteries)
- Made in China
Every pocket deserves a Swiss Army Knife, a tool ready for the unexpected in a topsy-turvy world. Available in several colors including the classic red (naturally!), the Tinker is one their most essential models. With dual blades, bottle and can openers, screwdrivers, toothpick and tweezers, and more, it has just enough capability in a size that is easy to carry just about anywhere.
Victorinox Swiss Army Tinker Tools & Specs
- Small and large blade
- can opener
- screwdriver 3 mm
- bottle opener
- wire stripper
- screwdriver 5 mm
- reamer, punch and sewing awl
- Phillips screwdriver 1 / 2
- Length: 3.58″
- Handle Material: ABS / Celidor
- Blade Lockable: No
- One Hand Blade: No
- Weight: 2.2 oz.
- Made in Switzerland
From his service with the British Special Forces to years hosting survival television, Bear Grylls is no stranger to tense situations. The Gerber Gear line that bears his name attempts to bring those sensibilities to affordably priced knives, hatchets, machetes, multi-tools, and more survival gear so that even those getting started can get their hands on capable gear without busting their budget.
- Knife Features:
- 1/2 Serrated High Carbon Stainless Steel Drop Point Blade – Ideal for edge retention and cutting rope
- Ergonomic Textured Rubber Grip – Maximizes comfort and reduces slippage
- Stainless Steel Pommel – At base of handle for hammering
- Emergency Whistle – Integrated into lanyard cord
- Sheath Features:
- Fire Starter – Ferrocerium rod locks into sheath, striker notch incorporated into back of knife blade
- Nylon Sheath – Lightweight, military-grade, mildew resistant
- Land to air rescue instructions
- Diamond Sharpener – Integrated into sheath for on-the-go sharpening
- Priorities of Survival – Pocket guide contains Bear’s survival essentials
- Item # 31-000751
- Open length: 10″
- Blade Length: 4.8″
- Weight: (with sheath): 14.7 oz.
- Weight (no sheath): 11.2 oz.
- Made in China
A solid machete is an essential bit of kit no matter the season. We have been impressed with this solid and lightweight option from Svord. The twelve-inch blade is just long enough, features a convex grind for strength, and sports a properly apocalyptic blade finish! Throw this in your pack or on your belt and you have the single best survival tool on the planet.
Svord Kiwi Machete Specs
- Blade Length: 12.00″
- Blade Material: Swedish High Carbon Tool Steel
- Overall Length: 17.25″
- Handle Material: Orange Polypropylene
- Sheath Material: Black Polyurethane
- Weight: 9.8 oz.
- Made in New Zealand
A perfect solo tent for when you just need to bug out, this is the tent that Randall’s Adventure Training instructors rely on for shelter in remote locations. It is built to move fast, sets up quickly, and keeps you dry. It features a bathtub floor, internal storage pockets, an included repair kit, and the inner mosquito netting can be used with or without the rain fly.
ESEE Dengue Survival Tent Features & Specs
- Bathtub floor
- Inner mosquito netting can be pitched without fly
- Single door
- Internal storage pockets
- Repair kit
- 9 standard stakes and 4 heavy-duty stakes
- 75D Polyester: lightweight, robust, fast-drying and UV-resistant fabric with PU coating, used for tent flysheets
- 40D Mosquito Mesh: fine-gauge, lightweight mosquito mesh (inner tent)
- 150D Hydrofilm Polyester: durable, waterproof-coated groundsheet fabric
- DAC 7001 Aluminum: very lightweight aluminum tent poles (9 mm)
- Pack size (uncompressed): 5.5″ x 16″
- Pack weight: 3.5 pounds
- Inside dimensions (usable space): 84″ x 35